Rachel Held Evans posted on her blog a wonderful article, 11 Things I Wish More Pastors Would Say. As a Pastor in training, I think the flip side of the coin is also important. Here are 10 Things I Wish More Parishioners Would Say in no particular order.
- “Take some time off, we can handle it around here.”
- “I pray for you daily” (And actually does it).
- “Can I take you out to lunch?”
- “I didn’t understand your sermon or I liked this specific part of your sermon.” (I usually get “good sermon” which is unhelpful).
- “How can I serve in worship?”
- “What needs to get done around here?” (And actually gets it done).
- “What ministry needs the most help?”
- “Use my cabin to get away.”
- “Wasn’t it great that we had children running around in worship today.”
- “You don’t need to go to all the committee meetings.”
Pastors: What would you add to the list? What is something you have heard that was life giving? What is not helpful?
Non-Pastors: How do you encourage your pastor? How do you support him/her?